It’s no longer news that most people use multiple accounts for different reasons. Reasons like branding, marketing etc.
Couple of days back, Instagram rolled out support for multiple accounts on its android and iOS app and apparently, Facebook has followed suit.
Facebook Messenger Supports Multiple Accounts On Android
Facebook recently announced that the android version of Facebook messenger has started rolling out a new update which includes the multiple account feature. The multiple account feature should allow people use multiple accounts at a time without having to sign out of one and then log into another.
The multiple account feature will also come in handy for those who tend to share their device(s) with friends and family thereby giving everyone a space to access their personal messages. According to Facebook, messages still stays private.
“All over the world, hundreds of millions of people share their phones and tablets with members of their family and friends. At Messenger, we want to make communication simpler, more seamless and secure, so we are happy that we have now launched a feature on Android that enables multiple people to log in and use Messenger from a single, shared device.
The beauty of this new feature is that your messages stay completely private. Anyone else who shares the device will just see the number of notifications of messages that you have, but they will never be able to see the content of your messages.”-Facebook
According to Facebook Messenger, here’s how it works:
– In the Messenger for Android settings, look for a section called ‘Accounts’.
– Add the accounts related to each person – signing up with Messenger takes only a few steps, and you don’t need to be on Facebook.
– The first time someone switches from another account on a phone to their account, we will require a password. After this, the user can choose whether to always require a password.
– In just three steps, you can move between accounts, and your private messages will always remain just that – private. It’s as simple as that.
– Of course if you want to stop sharing a phone, it’s simple to remove your account from that particular device.
The update for android if not available to you now, should be available in the next couple of days. You can however, launch the play store app and verify if an update is already available for you.